Saturday, July 17, 2010

Tennessee Williams

Anyone who knows me will tell you that I love me some Tennessee Williams. His dialogue is like poetry and the characters he creates are so rich and complex, especially his female characters. Any actress who has stepped into the skin of Blanche Dubois, Laura Wingfield or Alma Winemiller  can attest to the joyful challenge that playing these fragile misfits presents. Any writer who has read his plays should admit that he has created some of the greatest characters of all time. Even his titles are dope: Streetcar Named Desire? Cat on a Hot Tin Roof? Summer and Smoke? Amazing!Yeah... as you can see I'm totally gay for him. I guess that doesn't make sense. I'm straight for him? Whatever, I pray to the writing gods that someday my writing will approach a quarter of his brilliance. His boldness, authenticity and sheer genius inspire me and remind me that words can be magic.


"I have found it easier to identify with the characters who verge upon hysteria, who were frightened of life, who were desperate to reach out to another person. But these seemingly fragile people are the strong people really".--Tennessee Williams 
Arts

No comments:

Post a Comment

dreamhost coupon