Sunday, July 11, 2010

Welcome to my Fevered Brain



See Grace. See Grace act and write. See Grace happy. See Grace go a little insane.
Hello all. Anyone who has ever tried to be any kind of artist knows how tough can be. I’m an actress, screenwriter, director and occasionally consider myself a singer. Yeah. Not a practical title in the bunch. But, I frankly had no choice in the matter. Cubicles make me itchy and besides ever since I can remember, I’ve loved stories and storytelling. I was a weird outcast type of kid who played with Barbies until I was fourteen and would rather spend time locked her room with her imagination than be bothered with any type of human contact. Oh and did I forget to mention that I was an ebony goddess? As long as I can remember I wondered why there weren’t more people like me on TV and in the movies and it just stuck in my craw (Sorry, my Midwestern-ness comes in bursts at times). I couldn’t get over it and I always felt that TV and film had more power than people gave it credit for. TV and movies decided who was brave and beautiful who was noble and virtuous. These mediums also seemed to determine who was evil or ghetto or violent or angry. Yeah…my people usually lost that battle and represented the latter and rarely the former. So I have had this burning desire to want to change things and the shit won't go away. I want to bring a more diverse array of characters and stories to masses. Besides that, I wanna make people laugh their asses off or cry like Tiger Wood after getting caught with all those skanks. I want to get in your mind, son! Your hearts! So I got a BFA in acting and a BA in English. I moved to New York and got an MFA in Screenwriting from a pretentious, but wonderful school. And now here I am; newly finished with my over-priced schooling and trying to figure out how to negotiate this industry as an artist, a woman, and a person of color. I’m trying to figure out how to get my foot in the door, but still be me. And it would help if I could pay some bills along the way. Okaaay? So, this blog is about my thoughts on art, the craft of writing, on life as an artist, on this industry, and being in the scary and exhilarating position of beginning my journey as a screenwriter in this business. Read on, if you like what you see.
G
Arts

No comments:

Post a Comment

dreamhost coupon